Monday, March 12, 2012

Politics and the Church..Some Ramblings

I enjoy Facebook. I like being able to keep up with friends some close to me now and others I once enjoyed the company of on a more regular basis. One thing I am not looking forward to is the soon to be coming onslaught of political speak that is sure to increase with the upcoming Presidential election. I enjoy politics, I enjoy a healthy debate on issues, and I detest name calling and belittling over disagreements. I can say this much, there are good people on both sides of the political isle that I care very much about....with that in mind here are a few of my thoughts about politics and the church:
  • My faith will NEVER be in any candidate or political party.
  • Collectively the church, I believe, does itself a disservice by investing itself so heavily in the process during Presidential elections...these are just men (and women) as Benjamin Franklin once said "we are not demi-gods."
  • Until hearts and minds are broken for the things of God, any victories it gets in the process are fleeting at best.
  • Jesus did not come to the earth to score political victories.
  • Will I vote? Yes, in fact, I just did in last weeks primaries...but I don't ever...ever want to get to the place where my faith, hope, and dreams rest in the hands of any politician or party.
  • I will say I am praying for the country, but not for a candidate to win.

No comments: