Sunday, March 21, 2010

Politics and the Church

Anyone that knows me knows I play around on Facebook daily. It's a cool place to keep up with friends both new and old. It's also a fun place to play games like scrabble and just plain have a laugh. One of the things that have really grated on me lately is when Christians that I know spend countless hours wrapped up in posting really hateful political statements (especially in light of the current health care debates) on social networking sites. Here are just a few of my personal thoughts and reflections:
  • Why do so many of you condemn people that you disagree with politically? I have seen post after post with comments like "I hope they burn in hell for this." Where is the love of Christ anywhere in that statement?
  • God isn't a conservative or a liberal. He's God. He loves and died for us all. Everything on this earth will pass away.
  • Wondering if some of us in the church are placing our faith, even if it's just a little bit, in our country and in our politicians? Our hope has to be found in Jesus and not what any one political party can do for us or the country.
  • Does posting hateful comments strengthen or weaken your witness to those you should be reaching. Studies show people know and like Jesus, he was a man of peace. What they don't like are Christians. By your words and actions are you glorifying him? Or your political agenda? By your words are you the picture of the stereotype of the angry Christian?
  • I certainly have my feelings about the issues, and for the record, I am against the current health care proposal, but my hope is not found in the president, any political party, or even the USA. My hope rests squarely on the cross of Christ. I care, I vote, but I don't want to speak hate about people.

No comments: