Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pain and Suffering

Today I stood at the foot of a bed. In the bed was a man that had suffered more over the last few years than anyone I had ever seen or heard about. I'll spare you the details...It was difficult for me to watch as an outsider, not a member of the family. This morning, he was released from his pain.

There's an old Wayne Watson song called Home Free. One of the lines in that song was: at the ultimate healing we will be home free. I have always loved that song and it's times like this that remind us that heaven is our home.

One thing I can say with certainty is this. God never promised us a life without pain and suffering. He simply promised us he'd be there with us in the midst of it. That doesn't bring much solace for those who grieve. But we all need to remind ourselves from time to time that God watched his own son suffer at the hands of those he was there to save.

My encouragement for each person that reads this blog is this. Take the time and thank God for everything in your life. The good, the bad, and the indifferent. You never know when it will be the last time you are able to do that. If you have issues that are unresolved with a parent, humble yourself and make your peace with them.

None of us is promised another breath.

No comments: