Monday, March 21, 2011

Sunday Mind Dump (Monday Edition)

I was a little slack yesterday and didn't write my normal mind dump until this morning...Looks like everything was ok anyway :)

So, let's dump:
  • April and I didn't do any church related work last weekend. That's the first time in a long time. I almost didn't know what to do with myself, almost.
  • We did spend a lot of time with our kids this weekend and took them to a local church on Saturday night, sleeping in on Sunday. How nice was that, very nice!
  • This is my last week filling in at Central Park. It's bittersweet. I enjoy the teaching and the people there...But still feel like God is asking April and I to take a break from formal ministry. She's going to have so much on her plate in just a few months I just want to give her some space to unwind (well, as best as she can anyway!) and rest up so she is ready to go in August. Law school is going to be almost all consuming for her....she needs a rest.
  • We've sorta found a church we think we might want to hang out at, we'll see if we still feel that way in a month or so. It's just big enough we can hide a little but not so big you can't get to know people.
  • I will say, spending so much time in ministry over the years has made me way more critical of how others do ministry, and that's not healthy...from music to teaching it just seems like I am internally critiquing others rather than enjoying what God is doing through their church/ministry....that attitude has got to go.
  • Thinking quite a bit about the controversy over Rob Bells book Love Wins. I'll admit, I haven't read it and probably won't but have we as a church gotten to the point where we can't question the things we've been taught and honestly say "I've got questions" without being labeled a heretic? Admittedly, I do not subscribe to his theological assumptions, but still do we have grace enough to allow him to sort this out? I'm not going to call him a heretic for the questions...I would not have him speak for me, or attend his church....but still, do we have grace enough to allow him to question? I'm not sure we do...
  • I better get to my lunch....those kids will be back in here soon enough.

No comments: