Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Light Bulb - It's not too late...

This week I finally got around to watching the movie Despicable Me. It was a good movie and I loved it when Gru had some big realization he said "Light Bulb" out loud. Then they showed us the vision Gru had in his mind. Very cute!

I couldn't sleep last night and for some reason I got up around midnight to use the rest room and the word Light Bulb came to mind and I realized that this week marks the 11 year anniversary of my Dad's death. Seems like every year around this time I end up taking stock of the loss and God reveals some new truth to me. Last night, as I was unable to sleep, I think he did it again so I'll share it with everyone here.

My Dad wasn't around much when we were kids. He worked for the Railroad and as such he was on the road for half the week and when he was home he was often catching up on rest. He was always at our ball games and taking us places when he could. I would say he was a good Dad but honestly we weren't all that close. Something happened as I got older. He stopped working on the railroad and did some other things for work. He and my Mom divorced.

For my Dad, the life in his 40's was a tough go. In many ways it seemed like many things were going wrong...failed marriages, ministries not living up to expectations, loss, heartache, and much more. For him it was a tough time. For me those years were actually good. You see, Dad when everything else was falling apart actually became much closer with his children. I was in my 20's and Dad would still call every couple of days just to see if all was well. As a result my Dad moved from being a Dad to being a Dad who was also a friend. It was through that changing relationship our relationship actually grew very close.

Last night that was my Light Bulb moment. This morning it continues...we do that same thing with God. We are so busy with life many of us don't make time for those we love (God) until we get to the point were things start to fall apart for us....it's at that time we make time for the relationships that matter. I hope and pray I am making the right time now for both my kids and my God.

No comments: