Saturday, February 23, 2008

Worship

Worship is one of those things that helps define a church. It can be one of the first selling points of the church or it can be something that people have to explain away. We have always been blessed with people who can really play. I know of many churches with hundreds of people that would kill to have the talent we have because they have no one. It really is awesome to see God put this together.

From the beginning I have always wanted people to have freedom to worship God as they felt him leading. For some that is quiet reflection for others that is singing passionately with tears in their eyes and their hands raised toward heaven. Our goal was to have modern music that virtually everyone that would be attracted to a church like ours would enjoy and listen to outside of church. We have done pretty well up till now, but, we are about to up the ante so to speak.

Starting tomorrow you'll notice one big difference on the worship team. You won't find me playing guitar and singing. It's not that I don't enjoy it because I do but the fact is God has called me to lead a church not be a worship leader. Sometimes in life, and in this case in ministry, you have to give up to go up. For me, that means giving up my spot in the band and stepping back allowing others to do what God has gift them to do and doing more of what I am called to do.

I am still helping out with the band as needed and I'll be playing guitar occasionally but not every week. Starting this week Aaron Hammitt will be taking my place. He is an awesome guy and everyone is really going to enjoy hearing him play and sing. He brings much more to the table than I do musically and vocally. It's going to be a really cool thing for Real Life and I just know every one is going to love hearing him play and sing.

No comments: