Saturday, October 3, 2009

I Wish We'd All Been Ready

On Thursday I made a trip to Indiana to have lunch with my daughter. On the way out I drove through Neapolis. I had a little time to kill so I drove into this cemetery where my Dad's parents are laid to rest. It was a surreal experience in a few ways. First, I hadn't been to that spot since I was a senior in high school as that's when my grandfather died. So, I was driving around looking for their headstones. I had a general idea which part of the cemetery they were in. After a few minutes I found it.

A I looked at the headstones a few thoughts came to mind. First off, it was amazing to me how quickly time seems to have gone by. It's been 23 years since I graduated from high school. Time goes by way too fast and in a blink of an eye our lives are over. We don't have forever to get things straightened out with God.

Which brings me to my second thought. My grandmother accepted Christ very late in her life. I have no doubts that she is in heaven today. My grandfather never did, at least to my knowledge. I wonder what it would be like to live with someone for all those years and all of a sudden they are eternally separated from you? Love my wife, and I love my children. What would eternity be like if I was there without them or they without me?

Sadly, the Bible talks about the notion that the way to heaven is narrow and there would be few that find it. Which leads me to believe that all of us who are believers will at some day be eternally separated from those that we love. That hurts my heart and I wish we'd all been ready to go. Don't wait to share God's love with those you love. Tomorrow may be too late.

No comments: