Wednesday, August 4, 2010

George Carlin vs Jesus

George Carlin was a brilliant comedian. He had great timing, intellect, and whit. He was a comedians comedian....people looked up to him. He once made the joke "Did you ever notice that it's mostly older people reading the Bible? He said, that puzzled me, then one day I realized the old people are going to die soon, they are studying for the final exam!"

While certainly funny, that statement bears no resemblance to the truth. The simple fact its, it really doesn't matter how much of the Bible a person knows. I've read the Bible cover to cover multiple times and there isn't a single reference to gaining a certain amount knowledge as the key to getting into heaven.

Jesus on the other hand says come to me. I'll make your burden lighter. Come to me, I'm all you need.

It's not, has never been, nor ever will be about how much you know. The Bible wasn't given to us to help us increase our knowledge. What matters is the condition of your heart. I'd much rather have that over cramming for an exam.....just sayin'

No comments: