Saturday, August 9, 2008

What's New

I generally use vacations as a time to reflect and seek God on a deeper level. It's easier to do sometimes on vacation. At least for me because I am away from the day to day distractions of running a church. The reality is that most people see their pastor as a teacher or preacher. Without a doubt, that is true, and a part of what we do. The reality is that for most pastors the administrative aspects of running a church take up much, if not most of our time.

I don't want to write a long list of everything I do for the church but a few months ago I made a list and that list contained over 60 things that I am responsible for. No complaining here, that's part of the deal. As we grow and as people come along with talents many of the things I do will be handed off to people better suited to manage those tasks than I am. That's a part of being a good leader. Knowing when it's time to give something up so that you can move on to other projects. In fact, on that note. If you are good at something and want to help take something off my plate feel free to give me a call! I'd gladly hook you up with errand running, stops to the post office, weekly bulletins, and a host of other things!

Getting back to my main thought here!

While we were away God began to hit me with the notion that we need to take more risks for him. God isn't pleased when we take the easy or known road. In fact, there are some great parables taught by Jesus demonstrating that fact. We need to seek God and not be afraid to take some risks.

We are going to be doing that. Over the next few weeks our leadership team is going to be meeting and discussing the business end of church. I am going to be presenting a growth plan that is going to require us to step out on faith. Right now there is no way we can pull this off. The money isn't in the bank to do it. But, we are going to step out on faith and watch it happen anyway!

Every time we have stepped out God has provided exactly what we needed and then some. It's time to do it again. We are going to be stepping out on faith here. But here is the thing. God is pleased by our faith and obedience to his calling. We have been teaching for the last few months that Gods provision or Gods blessing usually follows our obedience to his calling or his word. We are going to start putting that to practice as a church.

I am not saying we are going to take crazy and unrealistic risks that we have no business taking at our age as a church. What I am saying is that we are going to step out on faith and believe that God is going to do what he has promised he would do! More details later!!

No comments: