Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why Am I So Drawn To A Crash?

Like most people I enjoy a good story. Lately though, it seems I am more and more drawn to things that I really should pay no attention to. Kinda like when your driving down the freeway only to find yourself stuck in a mile long traffic jam when the accident in question was on the other side of the road. The only real reason for the traffic back up is people taking their eyes off what they should be looking at (the road ahead) and looking at what they shouldn't be looking at (the accident.)

This morning I was playing around on a social networking site and saw a post by my wife's niece that said a promenant Christian (remaining nameless to stop eveyone else from gawking) was now a practicing scientologist. This peeked my interest and I immediately stopped what I was doing and took 20 minutes to look for proof of the transgression (which I found none.) I thought nothing of it this morning and then on my way to work the question hit me: How much time do we spend chasing after watching someone else crash and burn? How much time do we spend looking with a smirk on our faces while others lives are falling apart?

The gossip magazines are chock full of stories about this garbage and they must be doing alright because I have never heard of one going out of business for lack of sales. Evey in a bad economy like this one where traditional print media is on the brink of bankruptcy it seems the gossip magazines are doing well. What does that say about us as a people.

Proverbs 17:4 Wrongdoers eagerly listen to gossip; liars pay close attention to slander. (NLT)

Dang, that hurts.

No comments: