Saturday, May 17, 2008

Been Thinking (Scarry I know!)

Many times we in leadership confuse what we like with what God is calling us to do. We tend to to what makes us comfortable, tickles our ears, or makes us feel better about our positions and our place. We often lead from the position that our likes are more godly than other peoples likes, thereby justifying our stance on things. Sometimes, we get wrapped up in the notion that because something blesses me therefore it will bless those in our churches.

The simple fact of the matter is quite often this just isn't true. What blesses me may mean nothing to the people in my church. The things I like might not be liked at all by the people in my church. The things that tickle my ear might really annoy the ears of those in our church. The things that we justify in doing in our churches because they appeal to us aren't really always the things that God is calling us to do.

Here is the rub. Leaders lead. It doesn't matter what the arena or venue. Leaders have a knack for looking at where they are, seeing things from an accurate perspective, and leading where they believe the church or organization needs to go. Leaders, if they are going to be effective, must learn to separate their personal tastes from the needs of their people.

Don Shula was a great football coach, perhaps the best ever. The great thing about Shula was that he didn't have a system. He, unlike most coaches, wasn't tied to anything other than winning. If he had guys that were more skilled in passing the ball his teams became prolific passers (think Dan Marino.) When his players were better runners than passers they did that (think Csonka and the 72 Dolphins.) Leaders lead with what they have and they find a way to get things done plain and simple.

How does all this fit into discussion on church? Leaders lead. We in ministry need to learn to do a better job of putting aside our personal preferences in order to better lead the people God has given us. Sometimes that means playing music that isn't our first choice. Sometimes that means leaving the suit in the closet (were it belongs!) Sometimes that means dropping the old time preacher routine of pacing back and forth while speaking progressively louder. Sometimes that means allowing people to bring some coffee into the holiest of holys (our church sanctuary's!)

Plain and simply put. If you're in ministry and something in your area of ministry isn't clicking maybe it's you :)

I am not saying you need to get out of ministry or run for the hills. What I am saying is maybe you (and all of us for that matter) need to take an honest look at what your doing and ask yourself if it meets the needs of the people I am leading right now. If not, replace it with something that will. Am I saying you need to tickle peoples ears? Not a chance. What I am saying is that packaging is everything. I will never sacrifice what I teach. NEVER. I make no bones about it.

I will however constantly look at the way I teach it and the way I lead. Everyone in ministry and for that matter leadership needs to do that. Part of being a good leader is being willing to change tactics when the time comes. What worked last year may not work next year. The songs that moved the church to tears today might not move the church to tears in a year. It's not that they're bad songs it's that people and times change.

The message doesn't change. Just the way it's presented! Winning doesn't change but sometimes you need a new game plan!

No comments: